Pick Your Own Apples -Varieties Listed Below
The orchard is closed for the 2014 season. We look forward to seeing you in August 2015.
Pick your own NC apples
- Choose from 22 different apple varieties
- Containers provided ranging from 1/4 peck to a bushel
- Picking equipment available for your use
- Pick a pumpkin in the pumpkin patch!
- Bring your camera and capture a family memory!
- Enjoy the freshness of the outdoors!
- Bring a picnic lunch to enjoy by the orchard
- Can’t pick? Buy pre-picked apples already packaged
- Walk your dog on a leash through acres of apple trees; please clean up after them. We ask that you don’t bring your dog in the apple house due to food regulations.
Plan a visit to Stepp Farm’s Hillcrest Orchard to pick your own North Carolina apples. Pick a 1/4 half peck or bushels of fresh apples in our 4th generation orchard and farm. Call ahead to confirm your favorite apple variety is available for pickin’.
Apple Ripening Schedule
|Ginger Gold Apples||Early Aug.||Sweet|
|GALA Apples||Mid Aug.||Sweet|
|Honey Crisp Apples||Late Aug.||Sweet / Slightly Tart|
|Early Fuji||Late Aug.||Sweet / Slightly Tart|
|Jonagold Apples||Early Sept.||Sweet / Slightly Tart|
|Mutsu Apples||Early Sept.||Slightly Tart|
|Golden Delicious Apples||Mid. Sept.||Sweet|
|Red Delicious Apples||Mid. Sept.||Sweet|
|Jonathan Apples||Mid. Sept.||Moderately Tart & Sweet|
|Empire Apples||Mid. Sept.||Sweet & Slightly Tart|
|Ultra Gold Apples||Mid. Sept.||Sweet|
|Cameo Apples||Mid- Late Sept.||Sweet|
|Blushing Gold Apples||Mid- Late Sept.||Tart & Sweet|
|Fugi Apples||Late Sept.||Sweet|
|Stayman Winesap Apples||After Sept. 25||Tart|
|Turley Winesap Apples||After Sept. 25||Tart|
|Red Winesap Apples||After Sept. 25||Tart|
|Taylor Rome Apples||After Sept. 25||Mild|
|Law Rome Apples||After Sept. 25||Mild|
|Arkansas Black Apples||October||Tart|
|Pink Lady Apples||Mid- Late Oct.||Tart & Sweet|
|Granny Smith Apples||Mid- Late Oct.||Very Tart|
*These dates are based on an average year and are subject to change with varying weather conditions.